Getting your website to the top of the Google search engines is the eventual goal for any business website. This quick overview will help you understand what it is Google wants to see on your website and help get you started to answer the "How do I get my company website found on Google?".
Before you even submit your website to google you will need to make sure that your website complies with the guidelines set out by webmasters.
1. Quality Content
Your website is competing with all of the pages that have been indexed (scanned) by Google, so setting yourself apart from the competition is really important. Having educational and informative information, which helps your clients and potential clients is what Google wants to see. Remember Google's job is to take you to the best/most relevant website for the key term you put into google. This means that you have to be that for your services and/or products.
Make sure your content is relevant to what you offer your clients or you will attract the wrong people to your website. To do this you need to consider the key terms that you want to be found for and include these in the text on your website.
2. On Page Optimisation
Once you have created some good content it is important to set it out in a way that Google and your clients want.
- Clear internal hierarchy for the pages and content
- Links to extra information internally and externally
- Make sure that the important text is not hidden in an image
- Title tags are unique and descriptive for each and every page
- No duplicate content
- Use ALT tags to describe images on the page
- Make sure that you have a site map that links to all the pages on your website
- A robots.txt file to instruct Google on where to go once it arrives at your website
3. Off Page Optimisation
Making sure that your content is trusted and of a high quality is to make sure it is linked to by other relevant websites.
- All external links are relevant and not broken
- You have links from at least 10 established websites with the same subject matter as the page's content
- That it is not the same website continually linking to you, variety is essential!
Don’t forget that building links takes time, patience and care – don’t expect to do it all immediately.
4. Do Not Break The Rules
Keeping to Google's rules is really important, and that you do not take any short cuts. Google constantly update its rules to make sure that those that cheat get punished. By making sure you do the hard work now, you will insure that your website is listed and ranks well for a long time.
5. Create An XML Site Map
This is a sitemap for Google and not so much for your clients. There are lots of tools online to help you create a site map that you can then submit to Google webmaster tools.
6. Webmaster Tools Website Checks
With Webmaster Tools you can apply a number of important checks to your website with the company that will be judging and ranking your website.
- Speed tests on your web pages
- 404 errors are links to pages on your website that no longer exist
- 301 redirects tell google where to find the information that was there
Above is a quick overview of some of the main things that Google takes into consideration. No one knows exactly what they take into consideration, but by doing the above you will put yourself above the competition that arent employing anyone solely for marketing. We have not touched on how much Social Media is taken into consideration, as this is its own subject.
If you are still unsure how to go about getting your site listed and ranked with Google? then please contact us and one of our marketing experts would be happy to discuss solutions with you.